Idea for FreeBSD

Anthony Pankov ap00 at mail.ru
Thu Aug 7 09:36:46 UTC 2008

I wonder opinions on more general question:
Does somebody believe in necessity of separate infrastructure for
daemons(services)?

As for me i very dislike unclean of "what where located". Some
configuration lie in /etc, some in /usr/local/etc, some in
/usr/local/program_name. In addition there is own inclusions in
program conf's of some vital data/parameters located somewhere, not to
mention program binary, libraries and startup scripts.

What the shortest dump command that allow after fresh installation
restore full functionality?

So, i believe that clean rule of daemons(services) arrangement in
system more important than startup design.

May be rule that "all daemons should nest in /svc" can help.

For example,
/svc -mostly read
/svc/daemon_name -  daemon dir
/svc/daemon_name/bin/ - program itself
/svc/daemon_name/*.conf - configuration
/svc/daemon_name/data/ - data itself (mostly read, rarely write) + symlinks to real data
/svc/daemon_name/var2/*.conf - another configuration named var2 (for
another instance)
/svc/daemon_name/var2/data/ - data itself (mostly read, rarely write)
+ symlinks to real data another configuration named var2
/svc/daemon_name/cs/ - control scripts (startup/shutdown etc)

So, by design there is ability:
list all daemon (readdir /svc)
start / stop daemons:
 svc daemon_name start = (do a "/svc/daemon_name/cs/start")
use alternative configuration:
 svc daemon_name var2 start = (do a "/svc/daemon_name/cs/start -c var2")
dump all functionallity
 dump /svc