introduction

James oscartheduck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 02:22:41 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

my name is James Harrison; I'm a computer science student at the University
of New Mexico, studying mostly at the Los Alamos branch. I'm also a Unix
systems administrator/developer at Los Alamos National Lab, where I've been
working with embedded linux for a while.

I've been working with FreeBSD for a few years now; a friend introduced me
to it as a way to get a wireless card working that was stubbornly refusing
to cooperate with any other operating system. After spending six months
repeatedly breaking and ignoring the system by mixing packages and ports, I
finally knuckled down and started learning how the system works.

I'm working on the embedded FreeBSD project; I find embedded development to
be difficult and extremely enjoyable. It covers a lot of bases, while also
hearkening back to days when there were fewer resources available on any
system, so that I feel like I'm working in an environment from the late
seventies or early eighties. Which means I feel retro cool without actually
being limited in resources in the real world.

Best
James