Is describing sysctl variables useful?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 4 16:52:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:32:46PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Whilst not addressing your issues with sysctl, have you considered
> using process accounting (acct(5) and sa(8))?

Yes, but I have the impression (of which I wouldn't mind being
disabused) that that approach would perturb the systems being measured
somewhat more than using time(1) for the selected processes and
sysctl(8) to get information on the overall system status.

Note that I'm interested in measuring rather specific instantiations of
certain commands/processes -- not the bulk of them.  I believe that
makes a salient difference.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I submit that "conspiracy" would be an appropriate collective noun for cats.