Nvidia amd64

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 27 20:47:42 PDT 2007

Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Kjell Tore Ullavik <ktullavik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Remko Lodder wrote:

>>> this region to get the things fixed to get this far. Ofcourse like rsync.net
>>> you are free to sponsor these items if they are really important to you,
>>> without that, do notice that people do this in their own free time, which
>>> could either take some time before it's there, or might not be interesting
>>> enough to work on currently (because of other things at work, private life
>>> other code etc).
>>>
>>> It's not a matter of a capable individual taking the lead, it's a matter
>>> of having someone capable enough working on this for some time, which can
>>> be achieved by sponsoring that capable person for example.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> remko
>>>

>> Maybe the FreeBSD project could provide an official site for bounties?
>> Some things might have more interest among users than developers,
>> and an easy way to create and donate to bounties for everyone to see may
>> make it less of a barrier for people to put their money where their
>> mouth is.
>>
>> Ubuntu seem to have something going, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bounties
>>

> if there was a bounty system for FreeBSD I would pledge $100 USD for
> work that would help amd64 nvidia... heck I would even settle for
> someone that wants to take lead and setup a paypal collection.
>
> Sam Fourman Jr.

    What needs to be done is FreeBSD users need to be asked,
specifically, if they have interest in an amd64 capable nvidia-driver
being released. If so, then a donation page should be setup and
coordinated either through the FreeBSD Foundation (desired) or a
trusted, private individual who will distribute the funds to the parties
implementing the feature.
    Personally I think that this should apply to many things, not just
nvidia-driver. If that was done, maybe volunteer work (I know, less
volunteer, more work) would move along faster. The same thing occurs in
the business world but instead of small bounties it's usually a large
sum of money for a set of features developed and supported over a long
period of time. At least that's what Linux would make me think...
    Just my two cents..
-Garrett