how to use iic(4)

Milan Obuch freebsd-hackers at dino.sk
Mon Sep 24 23:39:52 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 06:13:10 John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote this message on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 13:16 +1000:
> > This drew a blank in -questions.  I don't know where else to post it, so
> > I'm hoping someone here might be able to spare me a clue.
>
> You should probably have posted this question to -hackers instead..
> This is more low level hardware than networking...

> You need to have a device that connects between your i2c bus hardware
> and iicbb or iicbus...  I'm not familar w/ lpbb, but I have used
> /dev/iic? w/ some HD capture card drivers I've written, and they are
> created when the device driver probes them...  lpbb may need hints to
> get it to attach, or may need a properly functioning parallel port..
>
> > Also, iicbb(4) is said to be a master-only interface.  I can work with
> > that, but if anyone knows of any iicbus slave-mode code I'm all eyes ..
>
> That's even more complicated as you either need specialized hardware
> that will detect when your i2c address is on the bus, or you need to
> poll/interrupt on line changes, which could get a bit expensive...
>
> I have a command line iic program that I used to help debug my drivers..
> The tool lets you start and then read/write from the device, and then
> stop the bus...
>
> I haven't committed it yet, because a few other developers want it under
> tools, and I don't like it there, as no one knows about most of the
> tools under there...  Maybe if we had a man page that talked about the
> tools available there it'd be more attractive...

Could you post it somewhere? Web, maybe...

I was trying to write i2c driver for WRAP board, but failed. Now it's time to
try again, maybe, (there is new generation WRAP board). It is definitely
possible, there is an ACB driver in OpenBSD, but I did not gain knowledge to
port it, the whole bus/driver infrastructure is too different...

Regards,
Milan