local "jailed" symlinks

Ighighi ighighi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:23:19 PDT 2007

I run multiple operating systems on my PC and access their filesystems
from FreeBSD.  Recently I've been playing with the idea that it may be
useful to have a mount flag similar to MNT_NOSYMFOLLOW that restricts
symbolic links in the flagged filesystems to them, that at least avoids
crossing to parent directories on different filesystems.  A "jailed
symlink" of sorts.  I believe that making the root directory the mount
point when performing lookups is the way to go.

What are the issues that I need to be aware of ?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Igh.