Useful tools missing from /rescue

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Mon Sep 3 04:53:26 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 09:00:04PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >I atttempted to
> >fit 'vi' in there, but curses is rather finicky;
> >'sed' would be more useful.
>
> Mined is a nice editor for this, running without curses.  A statically
> linked, stripped binary is about 100k in size, so if crunched it would
> have a very small impact.

It even used to be in our src tree under release/picobsd.  However,
if we revive it, we'll have to support as many as 4 text editors
in the base system, which can be a bit too many.  The main problem
with /rescue/vi is its being totally useless without the termcap
file from /usr, as discussed under PR bin/80256.  The solutions
suggested there are more or less based on introducing additional
trimmed down termcap files in the src tree, which is no better than
having 4 editors to support.  I'd rather write a small script to
extract a subset of terminal types from the main termcap file, and
install it as /rescue/termcap.

--
Yar