A more tenuously package-related question

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:21:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, 23.10.2007 at 15:47:40 -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
>   I got a request to summarize my results to the list, so here's a
> quick write-up.  Based on my preliminary testing last week, pkg_replace
> looks like the right tool for package-based server maintenance.

Interesting, as I'm facing the same problem.

>   One invaluable feature which was not immediately obvious from the
> description and man page is that if you give it a list of binary
> packages on the command line, it orders the updates correctly based on
> the dependencies between those packages.

Does it take the dependency graph from the already installed packages?

>   Thus updating my test server with the recently security-fixed
> versions of the packages for png and ImageMagick was just a matter of
> executing:
>   sudo pkg_replace png-1.2.22.tbz ImageMagick-nox11-6.3.5.10_1.tbz
> in my package repository directory.

Where is your package repository? Does pkg_replace work by simply
setting PKG_PATH=ftp://foo/bar ?

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.