FreeBSD.org website problems was: Serial speed for boot device selection prompt

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Thu Oct 25 11:56:44 PDT 2007

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:36:28AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the pointers.  I am currently unable to access www.freebsd.org
>> for some reason.  It appears that I get a timeout trying to retrieve
>> anything from the web site.  Other folks in my office seem to have the same
>> problem, yet I can access the web site from my home network.
>>
>> Any ideas what the connection issues might be?
>>

> Someone else recently reported similar on their FreeBSD box, and the fix
> for them was to disable RFC1323 TCP window scaling.  Try this:
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
>
> If this works for you, you can place the variable=value portion in
> /etc/sysctl.conf for application upon start-up.
>
> If your FreeBSD box acts as a gateway for the rest of your office, and
> the then that might explain why others are seeing the same thing.
> Otherwise the problem is likely not FreeBSD-related, and you should
> talk to your office networking folks to find out what's going on.

Interesting, what is _really_ going on with the website?

I was having connectivity issues to www.freebsd.org from linux, netbsd
and freebsd machines.  After adjusting  the appropriate value for linux,
netbsd and freebsd the issues seem to clear.

Under linux adjust:

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling

Under FreeBSD/NetBSD adjust:

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323