Getting nonstandard serial baud rates w/FTDI

Brooks Talley brooks at illuminati.org
Wed Oct 24 12:03:44 PDT 2007

Hi, everyone.  I'm pulling my hair out in great chunks.

I need to get Python 2.5, using pyserial 2.2, to open a FTDI-based usb to serial port at 250000 baud.  The FTDI chip definitely supports this rate.  The port mounts at /dev/cuaU0.

The problem is that /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py fails on this line:
ispeed = ospeed = getattr(TERMIOS,'B%s' % (self._baudrate))

So far, I have applied these patches to uftdi.c and uftdireg.h:
http://tinyurl.com/2yye2l

Approaching this with a machete, I have also updated /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/termios.h to add B250000, and rebuilt world and the kernel, and confirmed that the updated termios.h made it to /usr/include and /usr/include/sys.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?  It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult!

Thanks
-Brooks