auditpipe leak?

Christian S.J. Peron csjp at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 23 15:32:59 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 01:47:21PM -0400, dexterclarke at Safe-mail.net wrote:
[..]

> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 137 21 Oct 17:51 /dev/auditpipe0
> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 138 21 Oct 17:51 /dev/auditpipe1
> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 141 21 Oct 17:51 /dev/auditpipe2
> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 142 21 Oct 17:51 /dev/auditpipe3
> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 143 21 Oct 17:51 /dev/auditpipe4
>
> The numbers seem to increment forever, in testing, I got up to
> /dev/auditpipe50 before rebooting to clean them up (I expect
> just restarting devfs would've been enough, in retrospect).

This is not a leak, this is a side effect of how device cloning works in devfs.
IIRC these will be garbaged collected at some point, and faster if the system
requires the resources.

--
Christian S.J. Peron
csjp at FreeBSD.ORG