Netgraph ng_bridge status message missing last three values?

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Fri Oct 19 08:10:06 PDT 2007

I'm diagnosing a system that uses the Netgraph ng_bridge node to bridge
two Ethernet segments and the system seems to stop passing traffic at
randomly-triggered points (somewhat annoying for a system half a world
away behind a very restrictive firewall :-)

I've installed a cron job to dump the Netgraph bridge status messages to
a log file every few minutes.  However, I've found that the ng_bridge
status message looks like this:

 > ngctl msg bnet0: getstats 0
STATS=Rec'd response "getstats" (4) from "[10]:":
Args:   { recvOctets=474229151 recvPackets=3322699 recvMulticast=128640
recvBroadcast=105813 recvUnknown=2372 xmitOctets=516954216
xmitPackets=2968420 xmitMulticasts=8 xmitBroadcasts=339 }

but to aid diagnosis I would really like to see several values that,
according to ng_bridge.h, are in the stats structure, including
recvRunts, recvInvalid, loopDrops, loopDetects, and memoryFailures.  It
looks like all the code is there to report the values of these
variables, but I can't seem to find anything that is dropping these
variables from ngctl's output.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Guy

--