FYI: 3Ware 9650 can cause data corruption

Darren Pilgrim freebsd at bitfreak.org
Thu Oct 4 22:48:43 PDT 2007

Peter B wrote:
> 3ware 9650 in RAID6 mode with firmware version 3.08.00.004 seems to cause
> data corruption when rebuilding a single disc with raid6.
>
> http://www.webmasternetwork.se/f4t23551.html (Swedish)
>
> I thought this was serious enough for people to know. If another mailinglist
> is more appropiate for this kind of FYI then tell.

This is a known issue with 3ware software v9.4.1.0 and 9.4.1.1 (firmware
v3.08.00.004).  3ware released software v9.4.1.2 (firmware 3.08.02.005)
that corrects the problem over three months ago and it has since been
obsoleted by 9.4.1.3 and 9.5.0 (released earlier this week).   In fact,
the link you cite links to 3ware's advisory:

http://www.3ware.com/support/UserDocs/RAID6-data-integrity-customer-notification_061907-FINAL.pdf

While it is appreciated that you felt obligated to post this important
bug notice, it would be even more appreciated if in the future, you
would do a bit of research before clicking send.