How to enable more than 256 pty's?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Oct 4 08:17:57 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-04 18:05, Vlad GALU <dudu at dudu.ro> wrote:
>On 10/4/07, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

>>> Strangely enough, me neither. In his case, allocated pts' wouldn't
>>> get deallocated once the sessions ended.
>>
>> There was an old bug, which caused pts consumers to get stuck in
>> "devdrn".  This has been fixed, AFAICT, a long time ago.  At least, I
>> can't reproduce it any more with the usual tests:
>>
>>   * Closing xterm windows.
>>
>>   * Closing telnet sessions.
>>
>>   * Exiting from screen(1) windows.
>
> Weird. 3 people on this thread already saw the symptoms :(

It must be a different problem, then.  I used to have a local patch
which reverted the devdrn wait in kern_conf.c:destroy_devl() near
the lines:

 753         while (dev->si_threadcount != 0) {
 754                 /* Use unique dummy wait ident */
 755                 msleep(&csw, &devmtx, PRIBIO, "devdrn", hz / 10);
 756         }

but the original problem I was seeing seems to have been fixed.
At least, I can't reproduce it was easily anymore...