Critical Sections for userland.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 4 03:19:02 PDT 2007

* Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des at des.no> [071004 03:01] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org> writes:
> > Do you have:
> >
> > a) Evidence or a paper to prove that this is a bad idea?
>
> I need evidence or a paper to prove that it is a bad idea to allow a
> userland process to hold the CPU indefinitely?
>
> > b) A helpful suggestion?
>
> Why don't you tell us what you're actually trying to do, so we can tell
> you how to do it.
>
> > c) An obvious understanding of the problem?
>
> I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

It's not worth my time to engage someone with your mind set, you
posses neither the technical nor interpersonal skill to be useful
to me.

For context see my replies in this thread to Kip Macy which explains
how one deals with the false-problems you mention.

For evidence of existing, however suboptimal, run-to-completion
systems see the RTPRIO scheduling knobs.

--
- Alfred Perlstein