Useful tools missing from /rescue

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 3 19:24:10 PDT 2007

I also don't see the need for pgrep - I think needing that says your
system is running multiuser pretty well.

Also head and tail - why not just add 'more' as that would give more
functionality if you're trying to read a file in /etc to fix something.

I don't see the purpose of chown - if you have to fall back to /rescue
you're user 'root' - and you're trying to fix enough so you can use
standard /*lib & /*bin

chflags is needed so you can overwrite a file and chmod is needed so you
can "chmod +x" something - those needs are clear.

Please don't pestimize the build - unless there is a clear benefit.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?