Updated procstat(1)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 28 12:17:57 PST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Bert JW Regeer wrote:

> Have the licensing issues been resolved with regards to DTrace? This is a
> feature I was looking forward to in 7.0-RELEASE but it had been delayed
> because of the licensing.

The problems had to do with non-alignment of the licensing vs. software
boundaries, and I believe have been addressed by moving the boundaries a bit
(i.e., making some more DTrace data structures opaque, etc).  The key point is
that the CDDL parts will be compartmentalized as we do for other licenses, but
that DTrace will still be loadable as a module with a GENERIC kernel, as is
the case with ZFS already. Unfortunately, DTrace won't ship in 7.0, but we
believe that it can be MFC'd to RELENG_7.  I've not checked in with John
Birrell in a few days, but when I last checked he was in the throes of
updating the code and cleaning up the integration of the Solaris parts, so my
hope is that we'll see CVS progress soon.  I know a lot of people are very
eager to see this happen.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge