Updated procstat(1)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 28 04:47:06 PST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Skip Ford wrote:

> Skip Ford wrote:
>> Robert Watson wrote:

>>> I was, but then I read your e-mail and became convinced that the first
>>> patch that would be submitted against procstat(1) would be a "-a" patch.
>>> :-)
>>
>> Yep, would've happened.  Now the first patch submitted will be a "-w
>> interval" patch... :-)
>
> I couldn't resist implementing a crude interval arg just for kicks. Here's
> the output of find(1) every second.  This is so cool:

Very neat :-).  If you like this, you'll love DTrace, which allows you to do
all sorts of things along these lines.  I'll add a -w mode, but be aware that
if you want to do the below, what you really want is DTrace :-), which allows
you do do things like sample kernel stack traces on the clock timer, based on
function invocations, etc, so you can do things like say "sample all the paths
to a particular kernel function".  Now that John is updating DTrace again, I
hope that we'll be seeing it in the 8-CURRENT source RSN.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge