FreeBSD WOL sis on

David Leslie me at jdavidleslie.com
Sun Nov 25 11:20:41 PST 2007

Appreciate your quick response

> The sis driver supports at least two different types
> of cards.
Yes, among them SiS 900 series NIC. The NIC in
question is embedded on the Intel D201GLY/D201GLY2
desktop board (chipset is SiS662 NB + SiS964 SB). The
NatSemi DP8381[56] is the only implementation
currently supported by FreeBSD for WOL. SiS900 is a
different implementation from the NatSemi DP8381[56],
though they rely on the same if_sis driver.

> What does dmesg print for your card? I have only one
> type of NIC the sis driver supports and have only
> implemented support for this one...
> NatSemi DP8381[56]
sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem
0x4a100000-0x4a100fff irq 19 at device 4.0 on pci0

> If the card type isn't a DP83815 or DP83816, this is
> a bug.  The driver should not let you configure
cards
> for WOL it has no support for.
Agreed, this is not a DP8381[56] NIC. Does not appear
to be a (presently) supported NIC for WOL in FreeBSD,
so it would be better if the WOL patch did not
identify its WOL capabilities and allow the setting of
WOL options in this case. Hopefully not a substantial
undertaking to correct. Are other cards supported by
if_sis similarly affected?

Thanks for the troubleshooting info-- can confirm that
the adapter appears to be powered in ACPI S5/D3 state
after "shutdown -p" from FreeBSD (with "ifconfig sis0
wakeon magic"). The LAN link light is on, and activity
light blinks when receiving WOL "magic packets".

Linux does support WOL for (at least) this SiS900 NIC
(I can verify that it does work on this board), so
maybe it will be supported in FreeBSD in the future?

Thanks for your help

David