a strange/stupid question

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Nov 23 19:59:57 PST 2007

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On 11/24/07, Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> 2007/11/24, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:
>>> Where do I find the main() [and/or other entery point] for the
>>> kernel.... I tend to understand stuff better if I follow the flow of
>>> exec from the start
>> It is highly MD.
>> For IA32 it is in i386/i386/locore.s::btext
>
> For AMD64 I assume something close to that...
>
> I just relized that I actually want to understand everything from POST
> on (actually from power on but I know that is very mobo dependant) so
> I guess the question is where do I find the first executed statement
> for BTX (I know how to disamble the MBR so that part is not an issue)

As Attilio said:

for the kernel, execution starts (for the x86) in /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/locore.s
at around line 205.

look for:

 *
 * This is where the bootblocks start us, set the ball rolling...
 *
 */
NON_GPROF_ENTRY(btext)

it then skips to sys/kern/init_main.c   (mi_startup) (from memory)
and that jumps back to machdep.c (cpu_startup())

I suggest of course that you also read the bootblocks.