Would like some simple volunteer work

Fri Nov 16 03:33:41 PST 2007

Quoting Fred Bertram <fred.bertram at gmail.com> (from Fri, 16 Nov 2007
17:40:23 +0800):

> Just want to enhance my skills and hopefully benefit this online
> software community in some way. I enjoy C programming in particular,
>  havn't really mastered it or other languages. I'd like to practice
> by doing whatever though if anybody understands where i'm coming from.

As people told you already: the PR database is a good start. Don't be
afraid if you don't understand something. Either proceed to the next
problem, or just try to start (often a problem looks big from far
away, but when you go closer and look around, it's not that big
anymore). In case you can not find answers (in our man pages or the
source) to questions you come up with while looking at a problem, feel
free to ask on the lists (pick one which seems appropriate for the
topic you need an answer for).

If at some point you feel more confident in what you can do, and you
want to do something else than solving problems in our PR database: we
also have the ideas list (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/).
It's not a TODO list, it's an ideas list. Projects without technical
contacts need an investigation if it is beneficial to have it in
FreeBSD or not. It does not contain everything, some specific
subprojects have for example a real TODO list.

If you provide patches, don't feel bad if someone moans about the
quality (it may or may not happen, we are in a public place and all
kinds of persons are around). Take it as an opportunity to improve
(either the patches, or the way of the presentation/explanation).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.