Useful tools missing from /rescue

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Fri Nov 2 04:09:47 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 08:53:39AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 02:04:21AM +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:38:26AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > > I guess I'm not creative enough in the ways I've screwed up my systems
> > > and needed tools from /rescue. 8-)
> >
> > Just try to installworld FreeBSD/amd64 over a running FreeBSD/i386. ;-)
>
> I strongly feel that shouldn't be supported on a live system.  So to me

We already got that possibility for free along with src/Makefile.inc1#1.590,
so no particular efforts are needed to support it.

> it shouldn't be an excuse to put a duplicated copy of /usr/[s]bin into
> /rescue.

It's an exaggeration.  The most of /usr/[s]bin aren't in /rescue yet. :-)

> It is a delicate thing to get right - and there are easy ways to do it
> today:
>
> Boot from disc1; mount / and /usr; mv /mnt/etc /mnt/etc.hold; rm -rf the
> bits in bin,sbin,libexec; then run the install.sh from the disc1; mv
> /mnt/etc /mnt/etc.new ; mv /mnt/etc.hold /mnt/etc

One of the things I love FreeBSD for is being able to do things in
different ways and to choose such a way depending on the case. :-)
E.g., one may want to go from CURRENT/arch1 to CURRENT/arch2 without
having to install a binary release or snapshot for arch2 first.

--
Yar