SoC / PMC

Harald Servat redcrash at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:27:29 UTC 2007

2007/5/30, Mathieu Prevot <mprevot at freebsd.org>:

> 2007/5/25, Joseph Koshy <jkoshy at freebsd.org>:
> > Do you intend to run FreeBSD under Parallels?  If so you
> > may need to check if Parallels emulates PMC hardware
> > correctly.  The other emulators do not.  You may need a
> > regular i386 or amd64 PC to run FreeBSD on 'bare metal'.
>
> I compiled a SMP (seems not to detect 2 CPUs) kernel on a black
> macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo) under parallels (Build 3188), with 'options
> HWPMC_HOOKS'. After reboot, I `kldload hwpmc` and obtain:
>
> pmc: Unknown Intel CPU.
> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (hwpmc, 0xc05b0114, 0xc3662094) error 78
>
> It seems, the module can't achieve initalization.. please help !

Mathieu,

  what FreeBSD version are you running? I know FreeBSD 6.2's hwpmc module
does not support Intel Core 2 Duo processors. I don't know if Joseph has
done any advance on this, but I'm pretty sure that
http://wiki.freebsd.org/PmcTools/PmcHardware would state this if this had
happened.

Regards,

Mathieu