Xorg port problem?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 06:36:24 UTC 2007

Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
> I seem to have problems building xorg-server port on freebsd HEAD with a
> snapshot of source that is about  5 days old. I'm running AMD64 build
> everything i've installed is fine except when building xorg-server gcc
> 4.2starts to use all the memory i have and then exits saying not
> enough memory
> (Over 2GBs of RAM + Swap being used). It does this consistently when it
> tries to compile xf86PciScan.c (hope thats the right file). Sometime the
> system locks up from this load but i think that ZFS 's fault. I was
> wondering maybe I just had bad luck with this build? I haven't seen this in
> previous builds I'm wondering if its GCC 4.2?
>
> Note this was done on a completely clean new system. With a ZFS root :-)

May not be the answer you want to hear, but I built all the xorg stuff
multiple times on -current systems both pre and post the gcc + symver
+ version bump eras, and didn't have the problems you're seeing. What
I don't have though is zfs, so that may be a place to look. One way to
check is if you're not doing it already, use an mfs /tmp and see if
that helps.

Doug