System Drops to manual mount root prompt after HDD duplication

David Cramblett david at functionalchaos.net
Thu May 24 23:39:06 UTC 2007

I was able to resolve this issue.  Another sys-admin pointed out that my
  boot0cfg had the disk setup in CHS apposed to LBA. See below:

|[root at www root]# boot0cfg -v ad0
|#   flag     start chs   type       end chs       offset         size
|1   0x80      0:  1: 1   0xa5   1023:254:63           63    586067202
|
|version=1.0  drive=0x80  mask=0xf  ticks=182
|options=nopacket,update,nosetdrv
|default_selection=F1 (Slice 1)

That's a problem all right:  "options=nopacket" means CHS mode.

I checked th BIOS which indeed had the drive in CHS mode.  I changed it
to LBA as well as updated the boot0cfg:

#boot0cfg -o packet ad0s1

However I still was dropped into the manual mount root prompt.  While I
was inspecting the BIOS I noticed that it could not see any drive larger
than 130GB and the BIOS was detecting my drive as such.  I moved the
drive into a different machine and the problem was gone.

David