System Drops to manual mount root prompt after HDD duplication

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue May 15 09:05:46 UTC 2007

"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > Beats me...  I can't even remember what userconfig_script is
> > supposed to do.  Note that support for 5.2.1 ended on July 31, 2004.
> Neither can I, but last weekend I upgraded some 4.x boxes to 5.x and
> then 6.x, and with the 5.x loader they croaked before booting until I
> took those userconfig_script_load lines out.

Ooh, now I remember; userconfig was the old hardware configuration
mechanism we had before device.hints.  If you typed -c at the boot1
prompt, you would get an interactive display where you could assign IRQs
and ports to devices.

The script is basically a sequence of userconfig commands; you could
extract it from kenv after an interactive boot and store it in a file
which the loader would read the next time around.

AFAIR, userconfig was axed between FreeBSD 3 and 4, so there would be no
point in loading a userconfig script for a 5.x kernel.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no