SoC

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue May 15 07:32:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 22:17 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Ruby's nice, but it's built on Perl so I have suspicions on its overall
> usability / speed given my experience with Perl over the past 4 months
> daily for work :(.. Ruby's just the new big thing for programming
> languages, so everyone's into it. Kind of like how Java was compared to
> C/C++ a few years back. But once everything dies down people will
> realize that they'll still have to program in C/C++/Perl for real-world
> applications.
>
> Python seems better than Ruby from what I can see, but I really don't
> like the mandatory indentation thing. Ew..

Rubies are better Perls. That's the only connection between the two. One
day, a Japanese programmer got fed up with Perl, and wrote a better
language (for varying meanings of better).

Its not based or built on Perl in any respect.

Python and Ruby both have the same targets; to speed development time
and increase programmer productivity.