Berkeley DB API [was Re: SoC]

Duane Whitty duane at dwlabs.ca
Tue May 15 03:50:16 UTC 2007

[snipped]

> > 	Do you know of any simple APIs that can quickly dump fields in use
> > 	with BDB .db files? I have a hunch given the Ruby that I've taken a look at
> > with Portupgrade that something very inefficient's in play, but I want
> > to test my assumption first before jumping to conclusions.
> >

> I did a quick ports search and came up with databases/ruby-bdb1.  I don't grok ruby
> but I've telling myself I should learn [sigh].  I don't know if this has a simple
> API or not; I'll take a look but I suspect it is probably overkill.
>
> If this doesn't meet your project's needs I'll try coding something up in C.  I
> imagine we'll need some tools written in C at some point anyhow.
>
> > 	Thank you very much for the help :)!
> >

> Well, we'll see about how much help I can be; but I'll try.  It's your project
> so let me know what you need or don't need/want
>
> > -Garrett

Well, databases/ruby-bdb1 will not work because pkgtools uses the newer version of
DB, Sleepycat DB 4.(2|3) I guess.  However there is ruby-bdb that seems like it
would be simple for someone who understands ruby.  I've also noticed there is a
perl and a python interface available as well.

I wonder what the ramifications of the above are to the goal of using the bdb in
our base system to add db smarts to the pkg_install tools in a way that will be
complementary to exising tools?

Duane