Multiple IP Jail's patch for FreeBSD 6.2

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Mon May 14 20:47:59 UTC 2007

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007, Ed Schouten wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> Is there a way for us to colaborate on this? I'd really love to work on
>>> this sort of stuff and I think it's really interesting to dig in that
>>> sort of code.
>>>
>>> I already wrote an initial patch which changes the system call and
>>> sysctl format of the jail structures which allow you to specify lists of
>>> addresses for IPv4 and IPv6.
>>

> talk with Marko Zec about "immunes".
>
> http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/vimage/
> and http://www.tel.fer.hr/imunes/
>
> It has a complete virtualized stack for each jail.
> ipfw, routing table, divert sockets, sysctls, statistics, netgraph etc.

Like I said there is a place for both approaches and they are
complementary.  A couple of hosting ISPs I know do not want to
give a full virtualized stack to their customers.  They want to
retain full control over the network configuration inside and
outside of the jail.  In those (mass-hosting) cases it is done
that way to ease support (less stuff users can fumble) and to
properly position those products against full virtual machines
and dedicated servers.  Something like this: jail < vimage <
virtual machine < dedicated server.

> He as a set of patches against 7-current that now implements nearly all the
> parts you need. It Will be discussed at the devsummit on Wed/Thurs
> and we'll be discussing whether it is suitable for general inclusion or
> to be kept as patches. Note, it can be compiled out, which leaves a
> pretty much binarily compatible OS, so I personally would like to see it
> included.

I don't think it is mature enough for inclusion into the upcoming
7.0R.  Not enough integration time.  Food for FreeBSD 8.0.

--
Andre