DPS Initial Ideas

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Mon May 14 13:37:22 UTC 2007

In <000401c79601$2c4372e0$84ca58a0$@Sparrevohn at btinternet.com>, Thomas Sparrevohn <Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com> typed:
> > There is a
> > reason why people have been discussing this for ten years without
> > getting anywhere.
> I suspect that is because that by and large the ports system works ;-) - Having
> Played around with a couple of Linux distributions - my impression is that "ports"
> offers a much more manageable approach or maybe I am just used to ports ;-)

You may want to look at some other Linux distros. The packages system
dates to about the same era as rpm/debs. The package system is much,
much more manageable than them. On the other hand, most Linux distros
have moved beyond those tools, to things like yum, apt-get and
up2date. Those incorporate the facilities that rpm and debs are
missing in a higher-level tool, and I think they are slightly more
manageable than freebsd packages.

As far as I know, none of them handle updates from source at all. In
fact, dealing with sources seems to be a noticable weakness for them.

	<mike