DPS Initial Ideas

Thomas Sparrevohn Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com
Mon May 14 08:23:40 UTC 2007

> There is a
> reason why people have been discussing this for ten years without
> getting anywhere.

I suspect that is because that by and large the ports system works ;-) - Having
Played around with a couple of Linux distributions - my impression is that "ports"
offers a much more manageable approach or maybe I am just used to ports ;-)

The discussion about ports is really just a subset of the larger discussion about how to get a proper configuration management mechanism - and I am still waiting to see a real good generic answer to that debate -
FreeBSD ports offers in min mind a very good candidate or starting point

However that being said - there could be benefits to a structured approach to Configuration Identifiers - whether that would result in speed benefits overall - remains to be seen