System Drops to manual mount root prompt after HDD duplication

David Cramblett david at functionalchaos.net
Mon May 14 03:54:54 UTC 2007

My FreeBSD 5.2.1 server had a 4.5 GB HDD.  I decided to upgrade it with
a larger drive.  I installed a new drive on the second IDE channel which
made it ad2, of course, my original drive was ad0. I created a
partition, boot loader and matching slices on the new drive.  Then I
copied the old drive to the new drive using tar.  Once finished, I
removed the original drive and installed the new one on the primary
channel.  When I booted up everything appeared normal, but when the
system starts to mount "/" it gives no error or warning and just drops
to a "Manual mount root specification" prompt.  If  I type "ufs:ad0s1a"
it boots up and everything is perfect.  This is the same slice "/" was
on the old drive as well.

I have tried the following with no success:

Checked /etc/fstab

boot0cfg -v -B ad0

bsdlabel -B ad0s1

tried booting from a cd, going into post install config, fdisk, and set
the partition as bootable, it already was.

Since upgrading the hard disk, I have upgraded the system to 5.5 and
then to 6.2.  This system has been working great for over a week now,
just have this boot problem.

--------------

Here is my fstab:

/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1

--------------

Output from bsdlabel
# bsdlabel ad0s1

# /dev/ad0s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 585018626  1048576    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552
  b:  1048576        0      swap
  c: 586067202        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

Output from boot0cfg
# boot0cfg -v ad0
#   flag     start chs   type       end chs       offset         size
1   0x80      0:  1: 1   0xa5   1023:254:63           63    586067202

version=1.0  drive=0x80  mask=0xf  ticks=182
options=nopacket,update,nosetdrv
default_selection=F1 (Slice 1)

Thanks,

David