DPS Initial Ideas

Thomas Sparrevohn Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com
Sun May 13 21:00:50 UTC 2007

> FYI, "Using XML" and other buzzword-compliance is not currently on the
> table either.  Let's all try to maintain some focus, OK?

Well - I now heard the SQL buzzword quite a bit ;-)  - but whatever - No
matter
what angle I take on the register/make INDEX timing issues they are
insignificant
compared to potential gains in the "single vs. Parallel" builds scenario  -
even with my UP system - a total rebuild of the ports I had installed took
way > 24 hours
of which the time used in "register" etc was and are only a fraction

In my view ports should be self contained within the FreeBSD system -
Focusing on
The on-disk format seems to be the wrong angle on the issue - The current
structure
Works well - but it has a number of drawbacks - however it no way clear
whether that
The answer is another INDEX/storage structure