New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 13 09:21:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:26:53 +0200
Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> mentioned:

> Stanislav Sedov wrote:
>
> > I agree, that there's a lot of ready tools for parsing xml, but why
> > not use much simple language that can be parsed by sed or awk in few
> > lines?
>
> Because of mindshare. Young people know SQL and XML, but not grep.

And this way we should replace all handy tools with XML and SQL?
FreeBSD isn't for moderate user, there's Mac, Win and Linux for him.
Of course, we can have additional tools for use in ports and
distributions like PC-BSD, but this shouldn't became mainstream, since
the system will become unusable for ordinal people like me. What
FreeBSD was always proud of is the perfectionism everywhere, so we
don't introduce new complexity where is doesn't needed.

Yup, young people often use PHP, SQL, probably wsh. It doesn't mean we
should replace /bin/sh by php, for example, thought a lot (in fact 99 %
in hosting enviropments, where I work) use php to perform greps, file
operations, sending mail, etc. I'll definitely don't like such
system.

If people want, they can always write an SQL/XML backend to ordinal
tools and use it (I beleive, it's not very hard to implement
SQLite-like interface to any existing database and make a converter to
transform ordinal configuration structures to XML if it's simplier to
read to someone). E.g. I use dbm hash to store configuration
information in security/pam_af for fast lookup, and have XML-like
interface to it.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE