New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sat May 12 05:46:13 UTC 2007

>>3) As DES pointed out, the package tools must be able
>>   to read the metadata before the files.
>
> Actually, the argument is pretty weak. Being able to extract them
> streamable and access the meta-data easily is fine. The remote access
> argument is very weak as it doesn't allow e.g. signature checks.

I presume you mean that you have to scan the entire
package to verify the signature before doing installation?

I don't think you do, really.  If you can roll back an
installation, then you can verify the signature during
a streaming install; if the signature fails, you roll back.
A good package installer needs to support rollback anyway
to do robust dependency handling.

I know two relatively straightforward ways to structure
the installation process to support rollback.  <sigh>
So many ideas, so little time... ;-)

Tim Kientzle