SQL in the base system (Was: New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps)))

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Fri May 11 17:34:39 UTC 2007

In <20070511165612.GA48097 at lizzy.catnook.local>, Jos Backus <jos at catnook.com> typed:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 11:23:00AM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> [snip]
> >  How robust is it - can a corrupt block fry the entire database?
>
> Dunno, but "Transactions are atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable (ACID)
> even after system crashes and power failures.". So it appears to try hard to
> minimize the chance of corruption.

Right. This is a good thing. However, the db *will* become corrupt. A
disk block will fail to read, whatever.  The question is asking how
much data will be lost outside the corrupt data block?

> > How about portability - can I move the file to a completely
> > different architecture and still get the data from it?
> "Database files can be freely shared between machines with different byte
> orders."

That sounds like a "somewhat". The desired answer is "If the version
of sqllite runs on a platform, all database files will work on it."
That they felt the need to point out that they are byte order
independent implies that other architectural issues may be a
problem. Of course, it could be that nobody has asked the right people
that question.

> Also, the code is in the public domain.

Wow. That's everylicensecompliant.

	<mike