Multiple IP Jail's patch for FreeBSD 6.2

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Fri May 11 14:01:36 UTC 2007

Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It may be interesting to mention that yesterday there was a presentation
> at the NLUUG (Netherlands UNIX Users Group) conference by Marco Zec, who
> once wrote a patchset for FreeBSD 4.11 (and is in the process of porting
> it to FreeBSD 7.x) that gives each jail its own networking stack.
>
> You can hook up physical interfaces to jails or perform bridging between
> jails through netgraph bridging code. That way you can create virtual
> network topologies on a single box. This will allow you to use multiple
> IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on each instance. You can even use (I)PF(W)
> inside jails.

I'm working on a "light" variant of multi-IPv[46] per jail.  It doesn't
create an entirely new network instance per jail and probably is more
suitable for low- to mid-end (virtual) hosting.  In those cases you
normally want the host administrator to excercise full control over
IP address and firewall configuration of the individual jails.  For
high-end stuff where you offer jail based virtual machines or network
and routing simulations Marco's work is more appropriate.

--
Andre