New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Fri May 11 01:48:22 UTC 2007

In <f20c8u$htp$1 at sea.gmane.org>, Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> typed:
> I cannot currently actively participate in implementing proposed things,
> but I can give advice on sqlite, database and xml schemas if anyone
> wants to...

One of the things that would be nice for a replacement to do would be
to correctly install i386 packages on amd64 platforms (and similar
things). The binaries will run if we have all the libraries installed,
but getting them installed is painful. At the very least, an installed
package needs to know what platform it was built for, so that packages
being installed cross-platform have a chance of figuring out whether
or not the installed version of FOO will work for them, or they need
to get a version for their specific platform. If the new version can't
make cross-platform installs work, hopefully that goal can be kept in
mind while the work is beign done.

Personally, I'd still like LOCALBASE to move out of /usr/local. Maybe
it's time to reconsider that.

	<mike