New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

David Naylor blackdragon at highveldmail.co.za
Thu May 10 19:32:42 UTC 2007

Dear Jordan

Recently I stumbled across a document you wrote in 2001, entitled "FreeBSD
installation and package tools, past, present and future".  I find FreeBSD
appealing and I would like to contribute it its success, and as your article
describes, the installation and packaging system is lacking.  Since the
installation system is being tackled under a SoC project I am hoping to give
the packaging system a go.

I was hoping you could help me with an update about the situation with pkg.  I
have searched the FreeBSD mailing lists and have found little information on
the package system.  Once I have a (much more) complete understanding of the
packaging system (and providing there is work to be done) I would like to
write up a proposal to solve the problems, and perhaps provide some
innovating new capabilities.

After that I will gladly contribute what I can to this (possible) project and
hopefully further and improve FreeBSD.  Any assistance or information you can
give I will be greatly appreciate.

I look forward to your reply.

David