MIME-ifying sysctl types

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Mon May 7 18:53:13 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras wrote this message on Mon, May 07, 2007 at 20:12 +0200:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Ivan Voras wrote this message on Mon, May 07, 2007 at 18:39 +0200:
> >> My proposal is to MIME-ify the Format fields, best presented in examples:
> >>
> >> "S,proc" -> "x-struct/proc"
> >> "S,xfile" -> "x-struct/xfile"
> >
> > If you do, don't forget to add the version of the field to the
> > mime-type as these structures change over time..
>
> It's a good idea, maybe something like "x-struct/proc-v1", but is it
> necessary without the XMLizing part? AFAIK the fields are currently
> unversioned?

no, I was thinking: "x-struct/proc;version=1"...  Doesn't mean they
shouldn't be..  Currently most tools detect different versions of structs
by examining the size..  This isn't always safe as fields could get
shuffled or meanings changed w/o changing the size..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579