6.2-RELEASE Kernel Panic (thread taskq)

Scott Oertel freebsd at scottevil.com
Mon Mar 12 04:38:55 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I have 8 machines running 6.2-RELEASE, they're all under pretty heavy
load. All but one is running Dual Opterons on Tyan motherboards, the
other is running 2x Dual Core Xeon, on a Supermicro mb. I am receiving
this panic on all the machines, some of them it happens once a month,
others every few days. The only thing they all have in common now is
they're running 3ware 9550SX SATA RAID controllers, and a PAE/SMP kernel

I have done a lot of searching around and have found other people having
this same issue, but nobody seems to have a fix for it, or the threads
just die eventually. I'm trying to get a dump but they seem to be
corrupted when I try and load them into the debugger. I am going to
attempt to do some online debugging next time I encounter one of these
panic's

Anyway, here is the panic message. I have access to a serial console on
all the machines, and I've enabled the kernel option to drop to the
debugger on panic. Does anyone have any advice, or a fix in regards to
this issue?

Here is the closest thing I got with nm from the instruction pointer:

[root at xxx ~]# nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c03f60
c03f6050 T _mtx_lock_sleep

-------------

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid = 3; apic id = 07
fault virtual address   = 0x104
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc03f60ed
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe8e05c90
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe8e05c9c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 5 (thread taskq)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 3

Uptime: 2d19h50m39s

Cannot dump. No dump device defined.   ### NOTE:  I've defined the dump
device now.

Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Thanks,
Scott Oertel