Are there any known issues for installing FreeBSD on Vmware onwindows XP ?

ajay gopalakrishnan geek.dwells at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 10:00:19 UTC 2007

Hi Greg,

I am facing with some issues in getting FreeBSD installed on my machine.
I am using Vmware workstation version 5. I am using an evaluation version of
it.
I downloaded the FreeBSD Release 6.2 from freebsd.org.
I downloaded all the 3 ISO images. cd1 , cd2 and docs .
I did not write these images on the CD but i mounted them directly on the CD
drive of Vmware.

I had selected OS Type as  Other/FreeBSD at the time of installation.
My basic installation got over properly and smoothly without any pains.
But, i faced an error when i selected some packages for installation and kde
from the packages list. It said 'Could not load package libiconv-1.9.2_2 and
gettext... etc'. What could be the issue here?

Also what mode should i select when installing the network adapter. Which
one should i select. lance/Slip/ppp ? I am using DSL cable internet modem
internet connection and the modem is connected to my computer using an
ethernet.

Further, after installation how should i ensure that all the required kernel
sources are installed?

Is there any way by which i can install a specific package from from CD and
let the OS determine and install all the dependencies automatically? Is
there any command for this like we have apt-get in debian?

Thanks,
Ajay.