pkgdb -F calling portupgrade -a

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Mon Jun 11 00:03:23 UTC 2007

In <466C8611.5020009 at hesiod.org>, Jeff Anton <antonfb at hesiod.org> typed:
> I'm very surprised and upset that running pkgdb -F has started a whole
> upgrade of my stable machine.  I'm sure hacker's isn't the right list
> for this but it is so amazing that I don't know what the right list
> would be and I think just calling attention to some very bizarre
> behavior is maybe the best thing.  This machine should only have X11
> clients...  Anyhow output below...

Hi Jeff,

Long time no see. The only wierd thing I see is right here:

> Stale dependency: Xaw3d-1.5E_1 -> libXv-1.0.3,1 (x11/libXv):
> libXft-2.1.7_1 (score:22%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]
> Install stale dependency? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes] n
> --->  Installing 'libXv-1.0.3,1' from a port (x11/libXv)
> --->  Building '/usr/ports/x11/libXv'

Where it starts installing the port even though you told it not
to. That's a pkgdb issue, and the right person to talk to is the
portupgrade maintainer, sem at FreeBSD.org.

For the rest of it - you've apperently got x.org 6.9 installed on the
system and x.org 7.0 in the ports tree. So once it starts installing
ports, it's pretty much going to install the entire xorg ports
set. Since they install in different prefixes (7.0 moved to
/usr/local), that will actually work. I didn't see anything but client
stuff in the output.

	<mike