cvs: how to put vendor-deleted file into Attic?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jul 26 12:54:33 UTC 2007

Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> writes:
> Xin LI wrote:
> > While maintaining some third party contributed software packages I
> > ran into a problem where, say, if I remove a file from the vendor
> > branch (the file was never dragged off the vendor branch), it does
> > not appear in Attic.
> But it appears as deleted?  That's interesting then.  How is that
> possible?  Can you share the RCS file?

There is nothing interesting about it; a deleted file simply has 'state
dead' instead of 'state Exp' in the entry for the commit that deleted
it.  The Attic serves absolutely no function except an increase in code
complexity, a minimal increase in speed for operations on the trunk, and
a corresponding decrease for operations on branches, since they must
check the Attic for files that are deleted on the trunk but still exist
on the branch.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no