ttyd0 permission denied problem

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 18 18:53:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 08:27:22PM +0200, oxy wrote:
>  [root at bluebox /dev]# cu -l /dev/ttyd0 -s 115200
>  Connected
>
>  so my problem is minicom? how can i give permission for it?
>  when i did: 'chown uucp:dialer /dev/ttyd0' than it worked for
>  a couple minutes, than system changed back owner to root:wheel

I don't use minicom, so I don't know.  It does sound specific to
that program, however.

The permissions and ownership changing are probably induced by devfs
or devfs.conf, but this is speculation on my part.

Also, please do not remove the mailing list from your responses;
it's good to provide details to everyone on the list so that others
know where the problem is, and future mailing list searches can
reveal clues.  :-)  Thanks.