a question regarding <sys/shm.h>

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 31 09:16:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-Jan-31 08:30:27 +0100, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
>In a recent attempt in trying to clean up some compiler warnings in a
>GNUstep related project i came upon a case where the FreeBSD datatypes
>seemed to disagree with the Linux ones. Though this in itself is not
>unusual i do wonder if in this case the Linux definition isn't the more
>proper one.
>
>The definition in question is inside <sys/shm.h> and involves
>struct shmid_ds.shm_segsz which seems to be defined as "int" whereas
>Linux defines this as "size_t".

Whilst I agree that the Linux defn is the more sensible one, System V
IPC and common sense are not commonly found together.  Tradionally the
definition was "int".  It appears that the definition changed from
"int" to "size_t" in issue 5 of the Open Group base definition but
FreeBSD has not caught up with this.

I'm not sure what plans there are to change this.  You could try
putting together a patch to address this and submitting it as a PR
(this means addressing all references to shm_segsz in the base
system, not just <sys/shm.h>).

--
Peter Jeremy