top delay value

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 30 15:21:42 UTC 2007

waldeck at gmx.de wrote:
 > An unprivileged user could waste all CPU time by setting a low delay
 > value in top (interactive or via -s).

Well, an unprivileged user can achieve the same effect by
typing "while :; do :; done".  There are a thousand ways
to waste CPU time, and there is no way to prevent a user
from doing it.

 > There are other top implementations that use a "secure mode" configuration
 > which avoids the setting of the delay value for unprivileged users.

Really?  I don't think such a function has got anything
to do with being more "secure".  If you want to make top
more secure, type "chmod 700 /usr/bin/top".

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall