Advice for Stripping the Kernel

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 19 12:12:30 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, aRevolutionist <a.revolutionist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am about to almost completely strip FreeBSD's kernel. The kernel shall
> be stripped of sockets, drivers, memory management, and alot more.
> Basically, what I shall be left with is a kernel with a few system
> calls, only paging for memory management, support for only one file
> system and a few other things. What advice does anyone have to give me
> before I begin? Also, what section of the kernel is recommended to begin
> the stripping?

You're not the first to venture on this path. Please
google for nanobsd, minibsd, picobsd, freesbie,
monowall, and other more creative strings such as
"freebsd on a floppy" or "freebsd kernel stripped
down to 1kb" ;-)

Good luck!