"Streaming" data from kernel to userland

Kevin Sanders newroswell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 02:08:26 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> On Friday 19 January 2007 08:52, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > I'm thinking of doing something which would require streaming large
> > amounts of pretty much real-time data from kernel to a userland
> > application (for further processing). The first thing that comes to my
> > mind while thinking of this is sockets, so is there a sockets-like
> > interface which could be used to transfer large amounts of constantly
> > generated data from kernel to a userland application? Any advice on its
> > usage and/or examples?
>
> What's wrong with read()?

Ivan, I'm basically doing something similar, and I have found that adding
kqueue support to your kernel module and making ioctl/read/write's is very
efficient.  I'm a long time windows developer that has used I/O Completion
Ports, and I'm real impressed with kqueue api.  It was a little daunting
figuring out the kernel module side though.

Kevin