LDAP integration

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Jan 12 16:36:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 01:54:46PM -0500, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Take this idea, and run with it... build a package that installs over
> the base installation, bundling the LDAP client libs, new rc structure,
> tools, etc all in one shot. Add it to the ports collection and call it
> done.

I don't like the idea of any ports installing themselves over the base
installation.  If you do a "make installworld", you'll wipe the port, and
a portupgrade will wipe out the base..  We have /usr/local/ for a reason.

Having a port install the same libraries as the base is already problematic
enough (look at security/heimdal), but at least the separation is
manageable.

-- Rick C. Petty